Salted chocolate and peanut butter popcorn dusted with a light layer of powdered sugar.
I grew up in a popcorn family. During high school, we’d eat gigantic bowls of air-popped popcorn doused in Old Bay seasoning as an afternoon snack. At night, it’s a frequent TV-watching accessories at my parents’. And around Christmas, my mom and I bought at least 5 big popcorn tins between the two of us. So when we were planning Christmas day festivities with an afternoon of gingerbread house making, an indulgent popcorn treat seemed to be the perfect snack.
In fact, my sister and I have been talking about making puppy chow popcorn forever. Chocolate, peanut butter, crunchy popcorn, how could we not?
I made a couple of changes to the original recipe like reducing the powdered sugar (trust me, you don’t need it any more sweet) and adding some sea salt, because, duh. This recipe makes a huge batch of chocolate and peanut butter covered popcorn for any snacking occasion. And since the biggest snacking occasion of the year is coming up soon (ahem, the Super Bowl), I just had to share it. Trust me when I tell you to make this. My popcorn-loving family was very, very happy.
- 70g (10 cups) popped popcorn
- 250g (1½ cups) semi sweet chocolate chips or disks
- 130g (1/2 cup) creamy peanut butter
- 57g (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, in ½ inch thick slices
- 4g (1 teaspoon) sea salt
- 55g (1/2 cup) powdered sugar
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside
- Place popcorn in a very large bowl (you will need room for stirring)
- Place chocolate, peanut butter and butter in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup; heat in microwave for 30 seconds and then stir; repeat until mixture is completely melted; stir in salt
- Pour over popcorn and stir until completely coated
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over popcorn and then stir until completely mixed; spread out over prepared baking sheet and place in fridge to chill for 45 minutes or until set
Make something from the blog? Be sure to share it on Instagram with the tag #KeepItSweetDesserts.
You might also like:
Milk Chocolate Tart with Peanut Butter Pretzel Crust
Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Ritz Sandwiches
This sounds so awesome!! Totally crushing on that sea salt addition too!
Right? Sea salt makes desserts so much better!
wow this looks awesome! we received a popcorn machine as a gift many years back and since then it’s become a weekend staple in our house, and now with penelope, it’s the sign of our weekend movie nights. it always feels so special! i can’t wait to try this version!
Truth on the powdered sugar in the puppy chow…..it covers up too much of the pb and chocolate taste. I love that you referred to the Superbowl as the “biggest snacking occasion of the year.” Snacks are the reason for the Superbowl.
I AM SO HAPPY THAT I’M A GROWNUP AND THAT MEANS I CAN EAT THIS TASTINESS!
We make a wonderful Puppy Chow in our kitchen at My Popcorn Kitchen, located in Scottsdale, AZ. Our recipe calls for our Caramel popcorn (to maintain the crunch), milk chocolate combined with peanut butter and butter, Rice Chex cereal, and mini twist pretzels. We combine in our fudge kettle and then pour into a large bag to shake in powdered sugar. We love the addition of the pretzels and cereal. If you try it, let us know. We’d love your feedback!