Rugelach, Three Ways

Print Post Print Recipe

Rugelach Three Ways 11

I decided to get a little crazy with my last holiday cookie.  Rugelach is a traditional Jewish dessert, perfect for Channukah.  However, I’m pretty sure that these would be welcome on any Christmas table as well.

Making Peanut Butter and Jelly Rugelach 4

So instead of making a traditional version of rugelach, I took the basic cream cheese dough and added a few flavor combinations that I love right now.

Making rugelach 13Making rugelach 14

Chocolate and Cinnamon: just enough sweetness from the cinnamon sugar mixture

Making rugelach 15

Rugelach Three Ways 8

Peanut Butter and Jelly: Do I even need to say more?

Making Peanut Butter and Jelly Rugelach 9Making Peanut Butter and Jelly Rugelach 6

And Milk Chocolate and Toffee:  Um, yes I did.

Rugelach Three Ways 13

It might be a little bit of production to make a cookie where you have to chill the dough, roll it out, fill it and then bake, but it is well worth it!

And three different flavors isn’t really a big deal since you separate the dough into three sections anyway.  Holiday baking project with the kids or a friend? I think so!

Rugelach Three Ways 5

Fillings:
Cinnamon Chocolate Rugelach

4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Peanut Butter and Jelly Rugelach
1/2 cup jelly (any flavor, I used a mixed berry)
2/3 cup peanut butter chips lightly chopped
Milk Chocolate Toffee Rugelach
1 cup milk chocolate toffee bits
Optional: additional milk chocolate for melting

Directions:
Prepare dough
Beat together butter and cream cheese on high speed until light and creamy
Stir in 2 1/4 cups flour just until combined
Separate dough into thirds and mold into separate disks; wrap each disk tightly with saran wrap
Chill dough in refrigerator at least two hours or until dough is firm (can chill up to several days)
When dough is chilled, put together rugelach, one disk and filling at a time
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a slipat and set aside
Mix remaining 1/2 cup flour and confectioners sugar
Spoon some of flour mixture over counter
Roll out dough into a long rectangle using additional flour mixture as needed (height of the rectangle should be ~4 inches) so that dough is about 1/8 of an inch thick
To make cinnamon chocolate rugelach, combine cinnamon sugar mixture; pour enough over dough to create a thin layer of cinnamon sugar going all the way out to the edges
Pour chocolate chips over cinnamon sugar
Use a sharp knife (a pizza knife works well), to cut long thin triangles out of the rectangle; the length of the triangles should be dictated by the height of the rectangle
Now you can roll your rugelach; take the shortest edge of the triangle and roll it tightly towards the other end until the dough has formed a crescent
Repeat process with the remaining cinnamon and chocolate covered dough
Place unbaked rugelach onto prepared baking sheet 1/2 – 1 inch apart from one another
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until edges have turned golden brown
Repeat the process for Peanut Butter and Jelly Rugelach
Once dough is rolled into a thin rectangle, spread with a thin layer of jelly
Pour chopped peanut butter chips over jelly
Slice dough, roll and bake as instructed above
Repeat the process with remaining dough for Milk Chocolate and Toffee Rugelach
Once dough is rolled into a thin rectangle, spread with a layer of milk chocolate and tofee pieces
Slice dough, roll and bake as instructed above
Once Milk Chocolate and Toffee Rugelach are done, drizzle with melted milk chocolate

Rugelach Three Ways 15

Which rugelach flavor would you like best?

[pinit]

Sponsored Links

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Rugelach, Three Ways”

1. Jen at The Three Little Piglets December 22, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

I’ll take the milk chocolate and toffee any day!!

2. Chris @ TheKeenanCookBook December 22, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

I love rugelach! I had it for the first time a few years ago at a work function. I asked what they were and thought it was “arugula” hahah. Took me a bit to get it right. I’ve never made them. But I’d totally go for the cinnamon and chocolate, if not just a plain raspberry one. Yum :)

3. Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family December 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

I want the chocolate and toffee…as it sounds out of this world!

4. Monica @ The Yummy Life December 22, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

These would definitely be welcome at my Christmas table! Chocolate, toffee, and a cream cheese dough? Sounds fantastic. Happy Channukah, Lauren!

5. Terris@ Free Eats December 22, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

These are gorgeous! They look so tender too. I just made a batch of toffee so I’m halfway there!

6. Pretty. Good. Food. December 22, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

Yup, officially hungry now :)!

7. Sprinkled With Flour December 22, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

The chocolate/toffee definitely has my name on it! Yum!

8. Jenn {Cookies Cupcakes Cardio} December 22, 2011 at 11:57 pm #

Cinnamon and chocolate? Yum? I’m going to have to try that one out!

9. Julie @ Willow Bird Baking December 23, 2011 at 1:07 am #

Okay, these are just TOO creative! I love the PB&J idea!

10. Kathryn December 23, 2011 at 4:44 am #

Ooh milk chocolate and toffee sounds immense! These look and sound so delicious, love them!

11. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 23, 2011 at 7:55 am #

Mmm, my hubs would love it if I would make him rugelach!

12. Jessica December 23, 2011 at 7:56 am #

Love these! Love the chocolate and toffee..definitely have to try these. Thanks for sharing.

13. Melanie December 23, 2011 at 10:02 am #

I love rugelach! Yours look great, and your step-by-step guide is very helpful!

14. Emily @ Life on Food December 23, 2011 at 11:07 am #

Milk chocolate and toffee yum! These are one of my favorite Jewish desserts. I used to work in a Bakery in an area outside of Philly that had a strong Jewish population. It was my first experience with Jewish food. All of it is so good!

15. Lucy December 23, 2011 at 11:41 am #

Your rugelach look delicious – I think the chocolate and toffee variation has to be my favourite as it sounds irresistible!

16. Ellie@Fit for the Soul December 23, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

Eeeeek! These are so cute lookin’! And I had NO idea that rugelach contains cream cheese~Always learning something new :) And I’d love the cinnamon chocolate! Although I am a big PB fiend as well.

17. Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living December 23, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

I LOVE your creative flavor combinations!! I just made another batch of Ina Garten’s rugelach (with apricot jam, raisins, walnuts, & cinnamon/sugar)… which are tasty, but boringly traditional. I wish I had read your post before baking ;).

18. Zee December 24, 2011 at 3:18 am #

Yumm! I’ll take all three

19. Lauren December 24, 2011 at 6:21 am #

Wow these look gorgeous! Congrats on making the top9. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas :)

20. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. December 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm #

These cookies look wonderful! I will take a dozen of each of the three!

21. Adele Forbes December 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

Again you have outdone yourself…the cinnamon part got my tastebuds to singing, I wish for you a beautiful Christmas Eve!

22. Kasey December 24, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

I love the variations! Going to have to try them soon. Happy holidays!

23. Kiri W. December 25, 2011 at 6:06 am #

Oh man, I’d die for the chocolate and cinnamon version! Though my favorite ever might involved honey, walnuts and dates :)

24. joanne December 26, 2011 at 8:58 am #

How fun! My crazy italian family LOVES rugelach so these would have been much appreciated yesterday. My favorite would OBVS have been the pb and j. But the others sound pretty damn delicious/addictive as well!

25. Baking Serendipity December 27, 2011 at 8:48 am #

Peanut butter and jelly is definitely my favorite of the three! So fun :)

26. LeslieSarna.com December 27, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

Um, how to choose!? They all look amazing! But you had me at chocolate and cinnamon :)

27. Lisa December 29, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

LOVE rugelach, and yours looks perfect – delicious, wonderful! The PB &J and Milk Chocolate Toffee are killing me this very moment! I made some for Hanukkah, but they’re all gone :( Wish I could grab some of yours off the screen!

28. Carolyn January 9, 2012 at 9:07 am #

Wow! The only flavour of rugelach I’ve ever had was with jam, so these sound amazing!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Creamy, Crunchy Confections for National Peanut Butter Day | Yummly - January 25, 2012

[...] Peanut Butter and Jelly Rugelach (from Keep It Sweet) [...]