This 5-ingredient pumpkin cake is so good, you would never know it is guilt-free!
This past Saturday, I took some of my own advice and set aside a day where no work would be done! It was actually something I scheduled a few weeks ago when the Jewish holidays had me swamped. Scheduling time off is one of the best ways I can really force myself to take a break and a good way to motivate myself when things are a little crazy.
The day off meant getting to hang out with Matt. We did mostly everyday activities like working out, grocery shopping and watching TV, but that is just how I like it. The highlight of Saturday, though, was homemade pizza and champagne for dinner with some junky movies on the television. It was our second time making pizza dough from scratch and I was reminded of just how worthwhile the few extra minutes of making dough can be.
Of course, I couldn’t end the day without dessert. And since it was an “off” day, I let myself cheat a little with cake mix. Oh, but in case you were worried I at least made two cakes: chocolate cake for Matt and pumpkin cake for me. I couldn’t help myself.
This cake recipe is actually a nod to my college days. Cooking usually consisted of boca burgers, egg beaters and salads with the occasional stir fry thrown in. And while I loved to bake, we didn’t keep many basic ingredients in the apartment so cake mix recipes were the perfect solution. I actually made a version of this cake for my roomate’s birthday one year (miss you, Rach!). Pretty sure she and I ate most of it ourselves…
The best part about this cake (besides the short list of ingredients and ease of making) is how moist and delicious it is without having much fat. The moisture in the pumpkin gives the cake a perfect texture and you don’t even need frosting. But a cake without frosting, what fun would that be?
- 1 15.25 box spice cake mix
- 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- ½ cup water
- 1 1.4 box pumpkin spice instant pudding
- 1 cup light almond milk OR 1¼ cup skim milk
- 1 8-ounce container fat free cool whip
- Optional: Fall sprinkles and gingersnap crumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees; spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix, pumpkin and water until combined
- Spread into baking dish and bake 25-30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean from the center
- Set cake aside to cool and prepare frosting
- In a large bowl, whisk together pudding mix and milk for two minutes
- Fold in cool whip just until combined
- Spread frosting over cake and serve; store leftovers in refrigerator up to 3 days
Make something from the blog? Be sure to share it on Instagram with the tag #KeepItSweetDesserts.
You might also like: