Rich dark chocolate truffles with a hint of coffee and splash of peppermint. The best no-bake edible Christmas gift!
Peppermint mocha is my ultimate holiday weakness. The drink, the sweets, everything. In fact, despite the fact that I’ve mostly given up fake sweeteners and usually drink coffee sans sugar, the skinny peppermint mocha latte is my once or twice a year guilty pleasure treat that I truly savor. Last year I remember drinking one as we took L, just a newborn then, on a walk. It was a chilly late fall day and he seemed to be going through an eat-every-hour growth spurt. That peppermint mocha latte was my little break.
There is something so sinful about peppermint mocha treats. The rich deep chocolate flavor combined with a pop of mint is so satisfying. In making these truffles, I chose to go with an extra-dark chocolate for a base to keep them from being too sweet. That, combined with some instant espresso and a splash of peppermint extract, creates a great balanced flavor.
The recipe isn’t all that complicated. In fact, the hardest part is just rolling out all the truffles. I’d even recommend doubling or tripling the batch if you plan on making them for gifts or parties.
- 79 milliliters (1/3 cup) heavy whipping cream
- 3g (1 teaspoon) instant espresso
- 142g finely chopped dark chocolate (72% or higher), any type
- 57g (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ½ milliliter (1/8 teaspoon) peppermint extract
- Toppings-I like peppermint baking pieces (finely chopped), crushed candy canes and holiday sprinkles
- Whisk together heavy whipping cream and espresso in a small heavy-duty saucepan; heat over low-medium heat
- Bring to a light rolling boil then remove from heat and immediately pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth
- Whisk mixture until chocolate is completely melted; whisk in butter and peppermint extract until smooth
- Chill mixture in refrigerator for two hours or until it is firm
- Once firm, use a small or cookie dough scoop to form small ball-shaped truffles
- Roll truffles in topping and store in an airtight container in refrigerator until ready to eat
- Bring to room temperature before serving
Truffles should be enjoyed within two weeks for best results
Recipe can be easily doubled
This post contains affiliate links
Make something from the blog? Be sure to share it on Instagram with the tag #KeepItSweetDesserts.
You might also like:
Thick and Fudgy Peppermint Mocha Brownies