A few weeks ago, my mom made these delicious cupcakes for us to enjoy down the shore. They are the perfect combination of tart and sweet, but even better than that, the perfect representation of summer in color and flavor. It was a recipe I wanted to include on the blog, but what better way than to have my mom, the one who brought me up licking the cookie dough off the spatula, share the recipe with you.
One of my new challenges I have encountered recently, is trying to keep up with my daughter’s baking creativity and energy. Well, let’s forget the energy. That’s LONG gone! But the creativity? There must be SOMETHING that’s left for me to come up with that she hasn’t mentioned! Lucky for me, it’s summer! My happiest time of year! With that, things connected with this season of warmth, are constantly coming to mind. For instance, lemonade. Who doesn’t savor the taste of cool refreshing lemonade during the warm sticky days of summer? I was recently discussing all of these things with a close friend of mine, Nina, when she offered the perfect solution! Lemonade cupcakes! And to top them off with the perfect match of strawberry frosting! I was so excited! And in our family, it’s the little things that get us excited:).
Lauren has asked me to share this recipe with you. Here it is:
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
Yield: Makes 24 cupcakes
- 1 can frozen lemonade
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1- 8 oz container sour cream
- 1- 3 oz block cream cheese
- 3 eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all ingredients with an electric mixer until well blended
- Pour batter into cupcake tins lined with cupcake liners or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick/knife comes out clean
- 1/2 pint strawberries, pureed
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups confectionary sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk or cream
- Beat the butter until smooth and add the vanilla and pureed strawberries. Add two cups of sugar. Mix until combined. Add the milk or cream, followed by the rest of the sugar in small amounts, until frosting reaches desired consistency. It should be smooth and still hold it’s shape. When the cupcakes are cooled, frost and enjoy!
Cupcake recipe from Southern Living
Frosting recipe from sophistimom
What is your favorite summer food or flavor?