Last weekend I had an amazing time in San Francisco for the third annual Foodbuzz Festival (my first time going). Not only was it a long weekend full of delicious food and blogging tips, but it also was a weekend full of new friends and new blogs to read. I have so much to share with you but I’ll limit this post to some of the food conference, blogging and social networking-related tips (in no particular order).
1) There were a lot of tips for blogging, but by far the number one theme is to be yourself. Find your voice, find what you love, and blog that way.
2) Engage with readers. Respond to comments and emails. Comment on their blogs, too. When you do that, they will come back.
3) Take good photos*. Backdrops can be as simple as construction paper or crumpled parchment paper and as elaborate as fancy china and linen. Use a DSLR or an iPhone. Just make it appealing to the eyes. *more on that in an upcoming post
4) Instead of being jealous or comparing yourself to other bloggers, focus on doing everything you can to get where you want to be.
5) Use Twitter and Facebook to interact with others. Twitter is an especially good way to connect with other bloggers and readers. Don’t only use social media to promote your blog.
6) Jessica is just as awesome in person as she is on her blog. Unfortunately, we never got a chance to talk, but she was on a “taking your blog to the next level” discussion panel and her blog personality definitely came through in real life. Oh, and same thing for Joy.
7) Always charge your camera battery; no pictures for the first night of Foodbuzz #fail
8) Take a camera break; no camera for the first night of Foodbuzz also meant I could focus on meeting new people and enjoying the food.
9) It is perfectly acceptable to drink your chocolate.
10) String cheese can be eaten the next day without refrigeration. You never know when you may need a snack.
11) Fresh fruit tastes so good in between indulgent samples.
12) Keep packaged samples as a treat for later when you are going through foodie withdrawal.
13) In a sea of amazing foods to try, a vat of guacamole is still exciting.
14) Godiva chocolate is always a win. I was addicted to their pumpkin spice coffee but now I’m addicted by the truffles that inspired it.
15) Mini cupcakes are more fun because you can sample lots of flavors.
16) Burberry is even better in brownie form
17) Cinnamon caramel is heavenly
18) Don’t fill up on foods you don’t love, there are too many other foods to try.
19) Take advantage of the opportunity to meet awesome people. Some of the friends I made at Foodbuzz include Nicole, Audra, Krissy, Julie, Dennis, and Tina.
20) Find an awesome roommate who will spend as much time as possible eating their way through San Francisco with you.
Have you ever been to a food blogger conference? Do you have any tips to add?
I’m so jealous! I should have started foodblogging much, much earlier than a month ago! Maybe next year I’ll be able to go, and maybe by then I’ll have friends to meet :) Great advice, and I’m looking especially forward to the photo post – I definitely need improvement there.
You definitely should go next year, then we can meet:-)
That would be awesome :)
Great lessons learned, tips, and post. And one day I want to meet Jessica, Joy, and you…and so many others :)
Thanks, Averie. I’d love to meet you too! Maybe next year:-)
Thanks for sharing this! I was supposed to go to foodbuzz and had to cancel last minute. I’ve been loving everyone’s recaps!
That is too bad, I hope you can make it next year!
I met you briefly on Sunday after the brunch – hope to chat more in the future! Thanks for coming to the festival. (And I agree, that verjus-infused guac was awesome!)
Thanks for the comment, Beth! I’m sorry that I didn’t get to chat with you more. It was such a fun weekend!
I was there, too, though I missed a chance to meet you. Excellent job in summarizing your weekend. I jotted a lot of the same tips, myself. I still have to write my post.
It was my second year coming, and I enjoyed myself. I look forward to next year. Maybe we’ll cross paths then.
I’m sorry I missed you at Foodbuzz! Hopefully next time we can meet:-)
Great post! I am SO happy that I went to the festival & was able to meet and hang out with you. Your definitely a friend that I am so excited about having and getting to know even more :)
GREAT fun! I’ve never been to a food bloggers conference….but I SO want to go! Thanks for the information and I look forward to your post on photography!
Great tips, thanks for sharing!
Oh it sounds like you had so much fun!!
I love this recap! Great list — I’m so glad we got to meet. You ladies are just as fun and sweet as I knew you’d be!
Oh, and HOW DID I MISS THE TRUFFLE TABLE?!
Ok, you need to get your hands on some Godiva Pumpkin Spice truffles. You will never look back!
SO fun! I love your comment on drinking chocolate…so funny :) I am going to try the tip on crumpled paper, and I’m also going to go fabric shopping on my lunch break today. Priorities :)
I hope you caught up on sleep after your INSANE flight last weekend and INSANE start to the week! I can’t wait to come to NY and hangout!!! :)
Love your tips and you hit the proverbial nail on the head with #1!
Pure awesomeness!!! Sounds like you had a great time. I want to go next year. Thanks for sharing. =)
I LOVE this recap and fully approve of every word in it! (Especially the part about your awesome roommate :P)
Maybe I’ll try to make almond milk CINNAMON caramel….
Did that caramel happen yet? It needs to!
That looks like pretty much the best time ever. And HOW IS THE GUAC STILL THERE?!
Sorry, I get emotional about mexican side dishes.
hahaha good question!
I am so jealous after seeing all of your photos and reading your review. I SO wish I had gone…I made the mistake of thinking I hadn’t been blogging enough to warrant going. I will make it next year and maybe I will have the pleasure of meeting you, as I think your blog is just fantastic.
Now I need to go figure out how to use Twitter :)
I would love to meet you too! Hopefully we will both be there next year:-)
I love this round up! I’m turning green with envy over here :) Looks like a fantastic weekend…I must look into going next year!
Yes, definitely go!!
Wow, this is wonderful! I love your tips, I am totally bookmarking this post. Aannd I’m pretty dern jealous of all that food. I have never seen a vat of guacamole. Maybe one day…one day.
This was a great wrap up – as a new blogger, it was fun to read the twitters and hear all about the event. I think I am going to go next year! I LOVE the photography notes. Thank you so much!
Thanks for the nice comment, Missy!
Pretty sure I would have had a really tough time leaving the vat of guac.
What a fun way to do a recap. Sounds like a blast! Sorry I couldn’t make it again this year but I definitely hope to see you soon in NY (no trip planned yet but I’m sure it’s coming).
Btw, was the string cheese a real tip from the company or were you speaking from personal experience? ;)
Oh, that was my “professional” opinion and experience on the string cheese:-)
Keep me updated on NY and I’ll let you know if we plan any Boston trips:-)
Great tips! Thanks for sharing.
I love your tips, especially since I couldn’t go to any of the sessions.
It was SO great meeting you in person! I’m looking forward to our friendship :)
I heart you!
Love the pics! I wish I were able to make it to Foodbuzz. I’ll try for next year!
i loved your foodbuzz recap! i was not able to make it this year, but have loved reliving it through these beautiful blog posts. mini cupcakes are my weakness… somehow i am always able to justify eating about 12!
12 mini cupcakes is definitely easy to do:-)
Great lessons learned! I am glad you had a good time. I hope to join in the fun next year.
sounds like it was a great time- thanks for sharing your tips! I would love to attend a conference at some point!
It was so nice meeting you in person at the festival! I’m glad we had time to talk.
Great job on your recap of the festival, you touched on a lot of good points, and your pictures made me feel like I was back walking thru the tasting pavilion….sigh.
I know, I’d love to go back to that tasting pavilion again!
Sad I couldn’t make it this year. Sounds like you had a great time!
Hopefully next year:-)
What a fabulous post! How awesome that you got a chance to go! And very good tips…thanks for sharing those. Looks like you had some great food as well! Looking forward to hearing more about it! : )
Thanks for the nice note, Anne!
Great post, Lauren!
Fun recap, thanks for sharing!!
I am sooo bummed I didn’t make it! I love the idea of putting the camera down and talking to other ppl. Sometimes it’s really hard to remember to do that.
Maybe next year?! :-)
I have looooooved seeing that vat of guacamole in all of these posts! Also that cookie dough materpiece in your next post- I die!
So great to meet you at Foodbuzz Fest – love your recap! :)
Just found your site…love it!!!