Sometimes recipe experiments don’t work out. Sometimes they work, just a little differently than you expect.
I set out to make scones, but I ended up with scuffins! A scuffin is basically the hybrid of a scone and a muffin. These Cinnamon Apple Chunk Scuffins are hearty, chewy, and flavorful. Like scones, they aren’t too sweet, but like muffins, they are nice and moist. Even better than both, they are low in fat and added sugars.
I got my inspiration from a bakery in Philadelphia. Every time I am in the area, I buy a few of their delicious scones. They supposedly are low in fat, high in fiber, etc., but they are also the size of my head. My strategy is to buy a few different flavors and eat pieces of each one. That way I never eat an entire scone, right?
My favorite flavors are the apple and cinnamon varieties, so I decided to make my baked good a combination of the two. These scuffins are full of delicious cinnamon chips and big apple chunks. I hate when you get an apple dessert and can barely find the apple pieces! They are also made with whole grains. I’m telling you, these are healthy!
They taste wonderful right out of the oven, but also taste good at room temperature. I ate them alone or crumbled over greek yogurt with fruit and peanut butter. You can also store them in the freezer and defrost for a healthy last minute snack.
The recipe was loosely adapted from Cooking Light
Whisk together flours and oatmeal in a large bowl
Add the remaining dry ingredients (through cinnamon) and whisk; set aside
Combine the wet ingredients and whisk together until combined
Stir wet ingredients into dry
Shape dough into two round disks and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice each round into 8 pieces; do not separate the dough
Cinnamon Apple Chunk Scuffins
Loosely adapted from Cooking Light
Yield: 16 scuffins
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup fat free greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup chopped apple (~1 large apple)
- 1/3 cup cinnamon chips
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Whisk together flours and oatmeal in a large bowl
- Add the remaining dry ingredients (through cinnamon) and whisk; set aside
- Combine the wet ingredients and whisk together until combined
- Stir wet ingredients into dry
- Add the chopped apple and cinnamon chips; knead them in with your hands
- Shape dough into two round disks and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice each round into 8 pieces; do not separate the dough
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until scuffins are firm and lightly browned
Have you ever had a scuffin?