In my undying adoration of peanut butter over the years, I’ve looked past some other nuts that are just as delicious. Sure, I’ve shown almonds some love (even cashews, too). But in all this time, I’ve ignored pistachios.
Well, one giant bag of pistachios from Costco later and I won’t ever make that mistake again. Salted pistachios are just so completely underrated as a snack, to top salads and especially to add a salty crunchy kick to baked goods.
Last week I added them to a salad of field greens topped with blue cheese, sliced strawberries and mango vinaigrette and this week I stuffed them into a chewy oatmeal cookie full of chocolate chunks. This nut can do no wrong.
So this cookie recipe originated from the Old World Inn, the bed and breakfast we stayed at in Napa. The first time we went there, three years ago, we were one over by their afternoon plates of cookies and late night chocolate dessert bar. Those cookies, though, stood out the most. The inn’s chewy chocolate chip cookie was flat and innocent looking but just so delicious. I made the original recipe shortly after that first Napa trip and hadn’t made them since. As soon as I came home with a giant bag of pistachios, I knew a play on that cookie dough recipe would be the perfect suit.
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup roughly chopped dark chocolate
- ½ cup salted shelled pistachios, lightly chopped
- In a medium bowl. whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars on high speed until light and fluffy
- Add egg yolk and vanilla and mix on medium speed until combined; scrape sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture; add the rolled oats and mix on low just until combined
- Stir in chocolate and pistachios just until combined
- Refrigerate dough for one hour before baking
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper
- When oven is hot, scoop cookie dough using a medium cookie dough scoop or tablespoon (about 2 tablespoons each) onto baking sheets leaving at least 1½ inches between each scoop
- Bake cookies in oven for 9-11 minutes or until they appear firm around the edges and on the tops; do not overbake
You might also like:
Cranberry & White Chocolate Pistachio Dusted Cookies
Pistachio Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Buttercream
I love oatmeal cookies – I love seeing recipes and twists on them!
I love pistachios too! I’ve never put them in cookies, but they are so good in homemade granola bars :) Keeping this recipe on hand for sure.
That sounds so good, I need to try granola bars next!
I love your oatmeal pistachio combo! These cookies look scrumptious!
My family are pistachio FIENDS. For years I thought I was the odd man out, I was convinced I didn’t like them. My mom didn’t know this, and constantly put them in my stocking or care packages she sent to school. Finally I told her I did not like them, and they stopped appearing. Then, one day I was starving and stole a handful from my brother’s enormous jar he kept in his room. I was hooked. How had I ignored the deliciousness of these nuts for so many years? I convinced my mom I had been wrong, and now they have returned to my gift bags :)
That is so funny! I definitely wouldn’t mind to be gifted pistachios:-)
Really love these. I have never put pistachios into a cookie before but it sounds so delicious
After having tried a couple different cookies from you, I think I need to make it my mission to bake my way through all your cookie recipes. These look amazing!
Haha love that idea:-)
Pistachios in a cookie? I’m in! :)
Yum! These cookies look amazing.
Pistachio’s are my husbands favorite! He would love these cookies. They look perfect!
I agree…pistachios too often get thrown to th wayside in favor of peanuts and almonds! No more. At least, not with these cookies around!
Ps – that last comment was me…not sure why my iPad doesn’t like including my blog link.
YUM! I love the combination of chocolate and pistachios and your cookies truly look perfect – just the right thickness with lots of lovely chunks and crunch. I’m going to make these this weekend!
I don’t know why I’ve never thought of adding pistachios to a cookie, what an excellent idea!
gorgeous, flawless, perfect!
Holy wow. These look MOUTH WATERING!!
Sounds so yummy!!! Love the combination!
What lovely looking cookies. I know my kids would love to see a batch of these on the bench when they walk in from school.
we love pistachios! I never thought to bake with them though – yum!
These look wonderful. I would love to make these to take to work!
Looks really sweet.
I can’t wait to try these cookies. They look so good.
oh these cookies just look so.absolutely.perfect.