New Mom Real Talk: Mom and Baby Must-Haves (through 16-weeks post-partum)
Before L was born, I consulted so many online lists and asked friends what we would need for a newborn. Many of them were helpful but it took just getting through daily life with L to really know what we needed. These aren’t comprehensive lists of everything you need (obvious things like diapers and wipes are left off), just some key items that really help us out on a regular basis.
- Swaddle Me Velcro Swaddles– L was a swaddle escapist from the start and his startle reflex still can be a sleeping deal-breaker. Once we insured that he was in an escape-proof swaddle, his full-night sleep was MUCH more regular. I’m kind of terrified of the day we have to stop swaddling.
- The Mamaroo- I really didn’t want to like this because it seemed so expensive for something L could only use for a few months… and in fact he didn’t like it in the beginning. However, once he was a few weeks old it was great for naps (and still is). We were also lucky because we got to borrow one from Matt’s brother.
- Lovies– I don’t know what it is, but L has started to LOVE lovies! He cuddles up with them for Mamaroo naps and it is pretty much the cutest thing ever.
- Overnight Diapers– Okay, I lied about not listing diapers. This may seem obvious to some of you, but I really thought that these were just a way to get you to spend extra money. However, the overnights keep L from soaking his clothes / are just as important as the swaddle when it comes to him sleeping through the night! We use Pampers (and Pampers Swaddlers during the day).
- The Snot Sucker– I didn’t know about this until L got his cold and my best friend promised that it would work SO much better than the regular bulb. She was right! Plus, he doesn’t seem to mind when we use it.
- Video Baby Monitor– It makes it so much easier not to worry about every little baby noise (especially in the beginning) when you can look at the video monitor. Plus, this one has a wifi system so if Matt or I are out we can take a peak at L in the crib. Oh yeah, and you can talk through the monitor! Not sure if that will end up being useful or not but it seems cool.
New Mom Must-Haves
- Water Bottles– I don’t even bother drinking from a glass when I’m home. Nursing makes me super thirsty and I pretty much guzzle water all day like it’s my job.
- Lactation Cookies– I have no idea if these work, but they taste good! They freeze really well and I’m making my way through my second batch now.
- Nursing tanks– I should have bought more than two of these because I’d live in them. As it is, I sleep in one every night.
- Comfy clothes– One of my best friends bought me cute sweats for my birthday this year knowing that they’d be great for post-baby. She was so right! I pretty much lived in them for the first month after L was born because they were cute, fit over my still bloated belly and didn’t irritate my incision.
- Baby K’tan– It took me a couple tries to get it right originally, but then it was so easy to use. No tying, looping or anything complicated. In the beginning L would always fall asleep in the K’tan right away. Now he likes to look around and see everything but it’s so convenient to wear him for some errands (or even around the apartment). We also have an Ergo that Matt uses.
- And just in case it wasn’t obvious… wine, chocolate and ice cream.
This post contains affiliate links.