This ice cream sandwich recipe is perfect for summer entertaining! The brownie and ice cream combination is one of my favorites.
Since it is my 30th birthday, I thought I should share a recipe that includes one of my favorite things in the whole world… ice cream (hello, obvious). These Fudgy Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches were no let down. The brownie layers are thick, and are definitely the standout part of the sandwich. The flavor and richness of them is the perfect balance to a light and creamy ice cream (I wouldn’t use a super premium heavy variety). I used the Turkey Hill All Natural vanilla and chocolate to keep it classic, that brand is my current favorite super market option (no weird ingredients and super creamy).
Wrapping the ice cream sandwiches in parchment paper and tying them with cute little ribbons makes them the perfect late summer party treat. Or if you are me, this is an any time of year treat… You can even make them half the size if you are feeding kids. Hello perfect birthday party dessert!
- 90g (~2/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 150g (11 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 72g semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 155g unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 55g (~2 large) whole eggs at room temperature
- 5 milliliters (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 177g (~3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) granulated sugar
- 78g (~1/3 cup tightly packed) light packed brown sugar
- 3 cups ice cream of choice (I used vanilla on half and chocolate on the other half, the classics!)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line a 13x9 pan with parchment paper
- Whisk flour and salt in a medium bowl; set aside
- Melt butter and chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly
- Remove from heat and whisk in sugars
- Whisk in eggs, one at a time; whisk in vanilla
- Fold in flour mixture; do not overmix
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 18-20 min or until edges appear a little firm and knife comes out clean from center
- Allow to cool and then cover pan and freeze for 2 hours before preparing sandwiches
- Once chilled, cut brownie in half horizontally
- Turn one half of brownie upside down on a large piece of foil on top of a cutting board
- Note: for following steps move quickly to avoid your ice cream melting too much
- Spread a layer about ½ – 1 inch thick of ice cream; top with other half of brownie and press down to flatten evenly; you will want to do this
- With a sharp knife, cut into sandwiches (cut once in half across and then in thirds in the other direction) but do NOT separate
- Wrap tightly with foil and place in freezer at least one hour before serving
- While sandwiches are freezing, cut parchment paper into pieces that are about 8 x 5 inches inches
- Wrap sandwiches with parchment prior to serving to keep them together and avoid major dripping
Happpyyy birthdaayyy toooo youuuu!!!!
What are you guys doing to celebrate?! Other than eating ALL OF THESE. Which I think is the best possible of ideas, by the way.
Thanks, Love! Going to David Burke Fabrick and plan to order everything:-)
What a perfect little treat! Happy birthday, Lauren! xo
Thank you so much, Bianca!!
Happiest of birthdays to you! I turned 32 this year, and I will say that the 30s are the best! Enjoy, I know it’s going to be a great year!
Thanks, Rachel! I am definitely excited for what 30 has to come!
AMAZING!!! Pinned :)
Holy delicious! The absolute perfect summer treat!
Hundreds and thousands of (slightly belated!) birthday wishes Lauren!! I hope you had a wonderful, ice cream filled day xo
Thank you so much, Kathryn!!!
Happy Birthday! I also just celebrated my ?? (not my 30th) birthday and also made homemade brownies but I topped mine with homemade vanilla ice cream. Great minds…think alike. I love the sandwich idea..next time.
Thank you, Maria, and happy birthday to you too! Not much better than ice cream and brownies:-)
Happy belated birthday! These ice cream sandwiches look like such a great way to celebrate!
Thanks so much, Jessica!
The PERFECT birthday treat! Love how fudgy and dense the brownies are and then the classic vanilla in the middle! Simply perfect :)
You definitely have made my sugar cravings kick in… I am totally drooling over these delicious images! Pinned!
:-) Thanks so much, Thalia!
I love the idea of using brownies instead of cookies to make this ice cream sandwich! it sounds delicious!