HAPPY 30th BIRTHDAY, MATT!!!!!
Above photo from his surprise party this past Saturday night
A couple of weeks ago, Amanda over at i am baker suggested a day where bloggers write a significant other appreciation post. Since she happened to pick Matt’s birthday, I figured it was the perfect excuse to participate. Scroll down for some fun Q&A with my husband.
To Matt- Whew, 30. It seems like just yesterday we were meeting for the first time. Me at the ripe old age of 19, you at the much older age of 20. I remember the first time we met, thinking you were so cute. Then the second time we met, when you didn’t remember me. I tried to be cool and pretend like I didn’t remember you either. I tried not to like you. We all see how that worked out.
I’d like to say that I can’t believe we made it here, as real (or almost real) live adults. But that would be a lie. I knew from the start that I wanted to be with someone like you long-term. I just didn’t know I’d be lucky enough to end up with you.
This past Saturday night we celebrated your birthday. You, me, your closest friends, and most of our family. It made me happy to see you so happy. I hope that party showed you in some small way how much I appreciate you.
So let’s celebrate YOU today. We might not have any cake left, but I think this post and a fancy dinner will do.
I took Amanda’s questions and did a little face-to-face interview with Matt. Here is what went down.
Lauren: What is my favorite blog called?
Matt: Young Married Chic or Bakerella or the one you get the swiss meringue buttercream from (Sweetapolita). I don’t even think you have a favorite blog, fyi. Note from L – I probably don’t have a favorite blog but it was impressive that he at least remembered two names of other blogs!
L: What is my favorite prop?
M: Prop? For what?
M: The coffee table. It’s the background to every picture you take. Note from L- should I take that as a hint?
L: What is the weirdest thing you have seen me do for a blog post?
L: If you could have your own blog what would you call it?
M: I had a blog for about four weeks. I wasn’t that enthusiastic about it. I really enjoyed the act of eating, more than waiting to eat while taking a picture of the food. The blog was called Matt Eats Food.
L: What do you do for a living and what are your hobbies?
M: I’m a numbers guy and I like to play golf every chance I get.
L: Who does the dishes?
M: How do you define “doing the dishes”? If it is actually emptying the dishwasher, then it’s Lauren, but if you define it as actually putting things away after they’ve been emptied from the dishwasher, then it is me. Note from L- some things need to dry before putting them away, just saying.
L: What is your favorite recipe from my blog?
M: I liked the Black Bottom Ice Cream Cupcakes, the Meyer Lemon Shortbread Bars, and the Blueberry Pretzel Clusters. I also liked the Blueberry Blintz Cake, Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes and the Salted Caramel Cookie Dough Ice Cream Bars. Note from L- I gave him some help with the titles.
L: What do you wish I would post about?
M: Steak, garlic mashed potatoes, chicken parm, and your top ten favorite golf courses.
L: Anything else you want to tell my blog readers?
M: I’m really impressed with how many close friends you’ve made through blogging and how nice so many of the people out there are. That being said, there are some real crazy ones, too.
Finally, the cake. I first saw the M&M Kit Kat Cake on Lori’s blog a couple of years ago. M&Ms and Kit Kats just happen to be Matt’s favorite candies (Crunch bars and then Twix being next in line), so I knew that it would be the perfect thing for a special occasion. Saving this cake for his surprise party seemed to be the right choice because guests were oohing and ahhhing at it like crazy. Little did they know the cake was extremely easy to put together. I used one of my favorite yellow cake recipes (double the cupcake recipe and bake in 9-inch round cake pans) and Sweetapolita’s perfect whipped chocolate buttercream (you can halve the chocolate frosting ingredients). The result was a show-stopping cake that tasted pretty amazing. I can’t tell you how many people asked if I really made that cake (Maybe my friends forget what I do for a living).
Want to see some of the other significant other appreciation posts?
- Rachel from Rachel Cooks made Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Shanna from Pineapple & Coconut made Best Ever Chicken Enchiladas
- Meaghan from The Decorated Cookie made Homemade SpaghettiOs
- Amy from Very Culinary shared a Fabulous Video!
- Liz from The Lemon Bowl made Lebanese Meat Pies (Sfeehas)
- Cassie from Bake Your Day wrote about The Guy Across The Table
- Erin from The Law Students Wife made Chicken Stir Fry with Thai Peanut Sauce
- Heather from Sugar Dish Me made Bourbon Apple Shortcakes
- Dorothy from Crazy For Crust made Pretzel Toffee Peanut Butter Cookies
- Lauren from Climbing Grier Mountain shared At the Table with Mr. B
- Tanya from Lemons for Lulu made Reese’s Peanut Butter Caramel Bars
- Erin from Texanerin Baking made Healthier New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Jen from Jens Favorite Cookies made Chocolate Pudding
- Jamie from Thrifty Veggie Mama made Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Diane from Created By Diane made Rocky Road Cookie
- Nikki from Seeded at the Table made Oatmeal Cream Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Meagan fron A Zesty Bite made Something Fabulous
- Taylor from Greens & Chocolate made Butterfinger Blondies
- Amanda from i am baker made Classic Cheesecake with Double Crust
- Kristy from Sweet Treats & More made Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash
- Lauren from Healthy. Delicious. shared 10 Guy-Approved Recipes
- Erin from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts shared a Round up of Hubbies Favorites
- Rachel from Set the Table made Mexican Chocolate Shake
- Julie from Julie’s Eats and Treats shared her Hubby’s Top 10
- Stefani from Cupcake Project made Graham Cracker Waffle Cones
- Katerina from Diethood made Pasta with Tomatoes, Garlic and Olives
- Betsy from Java Cupcake made White Chocolate Everything!
- Kimberly from The Daring Gourmet made French Almond Cake with Lavender Lemon Glaze
And don’t you worry, more surprise party details coming soon!