Warm apple and pear crisp is comforting and delicious, especially with ice cream!
***This post was originally published five years ago! It’s one of my favorite recipes and was worth sharing again with new photos and an easily printable recipe. And yes, once again, we ate the whole thing in one weekend.***
I call this a weekend dessert because it won’t last you more than 2 days. Whether you live alone or with a significant other, or especially if you have kids, this dessert will be eaten in less than 2 days. I speak the truth because I baked mine last night and now there is none left.
One week after a trip to Costco, we still had a ton of apples and pears left uneaten. The apples wouldn’t go bad, but I knew the pears would be browned and bruised in a few days. Obviously the only solution is baking:-) Since I have seen so many apple crisps in the blogworld lately, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and make one of my own.
Yesterday was an amazing day. I had no real agenda and was able to take advantage of the cloudless sky and perfect temperatures with a walk along the west side of Manhattan. It was my first weekend in MONTHS without an event or travelling. It was amazing! And really, there aren’t many things better than a perfect fall day that ends with a warm Apple and Pear Crisp topped with vanilla ice cream.
I used 3 bartlett pears and 3 honeycrisp apples (great deal on those at Costco, fyi) to make a crisp that should serve 6. We got 4 servings…
Sidenote, any dessert served warm with ice cream is a winner in my book
- 3 large honeycrisp apples, thinly sliced*
- 3 ripe but firm medium pears, thinly sliced**
- 40g (1/4 cup) white whole wheat flour
- 50g (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 2g (1 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- 80g (1/2 cup) white whole wheat flour
- 115g (1/2 cup, tightly packed) brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1g (1/2 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- 71g (5 tablespoons) unsalted butter, chilled
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Place apples and pears into a large mixing bowl
- Stir in the flour, sugar, and cinnamon until all fruit is coated
- Spread out the filling in a 9×9 pan or baking dish
- Cut your butter into the mixture of brown sugar, flour and cinnamon
- Use fingers to combine until you are left with small lumps and pour it over the apples
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes or until fruit is tender and bubbling and the topping is browned
- Allow to cool for a few minutes and then serve topped with ice cream and or whipped cream
**I used bartlett but bosc would also work; peeling optional
Make something from the blog? Be sure to share it onInstagram with the tag #KeepItSweetDesserts.
You might also like:
Skillet Apple Crisp with Brown Butter Sauce
I think a warm crisp is the perfect warm dessert! And after reading this post, I think I have to make an apple crisp tonight. It just so happens, I bought honey crisp apples the other day as well! Like mother, like daughter!!!
i hope you have plenty of ice cream on hand!
THats a very nice step by step pics on the recipe. i wanna shovel this into my mouth!
thanks! it was pretty easy to make (as you can see)
This sounds wonderful. I just bought pears and I happen to have apples so you know what Chloe and I will be making this week. Thanks!!!!!!!!!
nothing says fall like this dessert! yum!
wow that looks so yummy x
yeah, there’s no way that would still be in my kitchen if i had made it…too good!
yum! I never thought to add pears to my apple crisp. I bet it’s delicious :)
What a yummy dessert and the perfect way to use up the apples that I have sitting on my counter!
Hahaha! I call that a one night dessert. It would last about a night in my house. My boyfriend and I would go to town on it!
Mmm I love any dessert with apples. Last time I made apple crisp it lasted an hour. :)
Um DELICIOUS. And perfect for fall! We want we want we want!
Yum! I love a good apple crisp, and I made a pear pie last week, so I’m sure they’re wonderful together! I’ll have to wait for another cool snap for this one!
yum pear pie sounds great!
You are ‘like’ the perfect person….be sure you are
:-) love you
I love your version of apple crisp! Adding pears is brilliant :)
This was outstanding. Thank you so much. This is the best blog EVER. Reading this blog has made my life is more complete.
Mmmm, pear crisp with vanilla ice cream could be one of my top 5 fave desserts :) What a perfect way to end your lovely weekend.