Fudgy chocolaty brownie bites topped with an extra special buttercream are a fun mini dessert for any occasion.
Today we are celebrating one of my favorite people! My friend Audra (The Baker Chick) is having a baby so a few of us got together to throw a virtual party.
I’ve actually been thinking about this for months. Back in July over an afternoon coffee date, Audra told Jacqueline and I she was pregnant. We both were so excited and immediately said we wanted to throw her a virtual baby shower. Now here we are, months later, and it’s almost time for Audra to have her baby boy!
I met Audra at the Foodbuzz Festival a couple of years ago. Lucky for me, Audra also lives in New York so I get to see her somewhat regularly. She is one of the friendliest and most genuine people I have met through blogging and I am so happy we are now real-life friends. It came as no surprise to me when a couple of bloggers actually asked to join in on the shower when they heard about it from other bloggers. Everyone loves Audra:-)
I always like mini desserts for parties like showers where people are mingling and may want to sample a few different things. Plus, Audra is the queen of salted caramel so I knew I had to incorporate it somehow. I actually had picked up this Espresso Salt when I was in Boston and had been excited to finally use it for something sweet. This felt like the perfect place.
And don’t forget to see what the other bloggers are sharing for the shower!
Grapefruit Rosemary and Sage Spritzer from Brandy
Sausage and Cheese Wonton Cups from Erin
Honey and Tangerine Whipped Goat Cheese Crostini from Liz
Bananas Foster Cupcakes from Meriem
Chocolate-Caramel Tart with Sea Salt from Joanne
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies with Brown Butter from Katrina
Chocolate Mousse Mini Cupcakes from Jennifer
Cinnamon Nut Stuffed Persimmons from Gina
Coconut-Cream Meringue Cupcakes from Tracey
Espresso Salted Caramel Buttercream Brownie Bites from Lauren
Gluten-Free Cranberry Bread from Jacqueline
Mini Eggnog Bundt Cakes with Salted Caramel Icing from Kelli
Mini Gingerbread Whoopie Pies from Julie
Mini Vanilla Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream from Rachel
Sugar & Spice Layer Cake from Stephanie
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 9 ¾ ounces(~1⅓ cups) sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⅞ ounces (2/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces (1 cup / 2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup espresso salted caramel (see below, can substitute regular salted caramel if desired)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease or line mini muffin pan
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, espresso powder and salt; set aside
- Melt butter and chocolate in large sauce pan over low to medium heat; stir in sugar; stir in eggs and vanilla until smooth
- Whisk in flour mixture just until combined; do not overmix
- Use a small ladle or medium cookie dough scoop to evenly distribute batter into muffin tin
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until tops are puffed up slightly and knife comes out clean
- Set brownies aside to cool
- For the Espresso Salted Caramel Buttercream
- Beat butter with an electric mixer for several minutes or until light and creamy; add sugar and beat until light and fluffy
- Beat in salted caramel until combined
- Remove brownies from pan and pipe buttercream onto cooled brownie bites
Brownies can be stored in a covered container at room temperature up to two days or frozen up to one month
- 5⅝ ounces (~3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 fluid ounces (1/2 cup) heavy cream
- 1 fluid ounce (2 tablespoons) milk, any type
- 2-3 teaspoons espresso salt (to taste)
- Whisk the sugar and water in a medium heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil
- Let boil without stirring until the mixture becomes a deep amber color, watching closely so it doesn't burn
- Quickly whisk in the cream (be careful; it will bubble up) and remove from the heat
- Whisk in milk and sea salt and chill in refrigerator until ready to use
Make something from the blog? Be sure to share it on Instagram with the tag #KeepItSweetDesserts.
This post contains affiliate links.
You might also like:
Espresso Cookies with Salted Caramel Ganache
Fudgy Mocha Chip Brownies with Espresso Sea Salt
Espresso Salted Dark Chocolate Biscotti
Aw Lauren, I love ya. You are right- I am salted caramel obsessed and these look just perfect. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful friend in you (both in life online!!!) Thanks so much for helping to organize this. xoxoxo
I love chocolate + espresso almost as much as chocolate + salt. I’ll take 10!
These look wonderful, Lauren! And gorgeous, too! I so need lessons in frosting cupcakes.
Oh my gosh!! I seriously want these for breakfast. I swear I’d consider making up for it with a salad later… maybe ;)
Congrats to Audra! Expresso, caramel and salt in the same sentence – these look incredible!
How cute and yummy are these little bites?? LOVE them. Thanks for coordinating such a fun virtual shower!
Those are like little vessels to carry salted caramel buttercream, love it!
I LOVE these, and THANK YOU for throwing this shower. I feel so lucky to have met you through this blogging / Blogher world, and look forward to more tea dates with sweets and kiddies and lots of loveliness. Yum!
Awwww, yay Audra!
You’re absolutely right- everybody loves Audra…how could they not! These brownies seriously look like the epitome of deliciousness. Love the espresso/caramel swirl!
These are adorable, and I’m guessing they’re pretty addictive, too. I have some espresso salt in my kitchen – this would be a great way to use it!
Thanks, Ashley! I’d love to know what else you have done with the espresso salt:-)
Little bites like this are my favorite, and are especially awesome for a baby shower! Yum!
Did you say espresso salted caramel buttercream?? Like, whoa! I am definitely going to need some of that espresso salt pronto :)
Yay for Audra and yayyy for these bites! Mmm salted caramel…
The only thing better than salted caramel is salted caramel ON TOP OF A BROWNIE. Whoa.
1. Espresso salted caramel, I die. But only after I eat 16 batches.
2. So fun that you guys get to see each other regularly!!
I LOVE everything about this. I adore espresso in sweets and salted caramel is SUCH a great combo. This reminds me of a starbucks drink :) thanks for putting together this shower! It turned out great!
I love a great salted brownie bite, your recipe looks wonderful and oh so delicious!
Espresso salt is a thing?! Need.
Well these just JUMPED to the top of my MUST MAKE list! They look incredible!!!