Fudgy chocolaty brownie bites topped with an extra special buttercream are a fun mini dessert for any occasion.
I’ve actually been thinking about this for months. Back in July over an afternoon coffee date, Audra told Jacqueline and I she was pregnant. We both were so excited and immediately said we wanted to throw her a virtual baby shower. Now here we are, months later, and it’s almost time for Audra to have her baby boy!
I met Audra at the Foodbuzz Festival a couple of years ago. Lucky for me, Audra also lives in New York so I get to see her somewhat regularly. She is one of the friendliest and most genuine people I have met through blogging and I am so happy we are now real-life friends. It came as no surprise to me when a couple of bloggers actually asked to join in on the shower when they heard about it from other bloggers. Everyone loves Audra:-)
I always like mini desserts for parties like showers where people are mingling and may want to sample a few different things. Plus, Audra is the queen of salted caramel so I knew I had to incorporate it somehow. I actually had picked up this Espresso Salt when I was in Boston and had been excited to finally use it for something sweet. This felt like the perfect place.
And don’t forget to see what the other bloggers are sharing for the shower!
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 9 ¾ ounces(~1⅓ cups) sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⅞ ounces (2/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces (1 cup / 2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup espresso salted caramel (see below, can substitute regular salted caramel if desired)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease or line mini muffin pan
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, espresso powder and salt; set aside
- Melt butter and chocolate in large sauce pan over low to medium heat; stir in sugar; stir in eggs and vanilla until smooth
- Whisk in flour mixture just until combined; do not overmix
- Use a small ladle or medium cookie dough scoop to evenly distribute batter into muffin tin
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until tops are puffed up slightly and knife comes out clean
- Set brownies aside to cool
- For the Espresso Salted Caramel Buttercream
- Beat butter with an electric mixer for several minutes or until light and creamy; add sugar and beat until light and fluffy
- Beat in salted caramel until combined
- Remove brownies from pan and pipe buttercream onto cooled brownie bites
Brownies can be stored in a covered container at room temperature up to two days or frozen up to one month
- 5⅝ ounces (~3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 fluid ounces (1/2 cup) heavy cream
- 1 fluid ounce (2 tablespoons) milk, any type
- 2-3 teaspoons espresso salt (to taste)
- Whisk the sugar and water in a medium heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil
- Let boil without stirring until the mixture becomes a deep amber color, watching closely so it doesn't burn
- Quickly whisk in the cream (be careful; it will bubble up) and remove from the heat
- Whisk in milk and sea salt and chill in refrigerator until ready to use
Make something from the blog? Be sure to share it on Instagram with the tag #KeepItSweetDesserts.
This post contains affiliate links.