Blueberry Rhubarb Shortbread Bars

Print Post

Blueberry Rhubarb Shortbread Bars

This was one of those weeks where I should be thankful I made it to Friday alive.  400 cookies for a local event, lots of packages, business development when I could fit it in and excitement over all that my friend Rachel has done for me (see here and here).

Blueberry Rhubarb Shortbread Bars

And somehow, luckily, I was able to fit these beautiful bars into the mix!  Rhubarb is such a wonderful summer fruit for baking but this was actually my first time using it.  For some reason those stalks had intimidated me up until now.  But don’t be afraid, all you have to do is chop them up, cook them down and you are on your way to something delicious.

Blueberry Rhubarb Shortbread Bars

In this case, the rhubarb filling got a vibrant boost from some fresh blueberries I picked up the other day.  They aren’t quite in season but they looked so good I couldn’t resist.  Besides, the rhubarb filling is lovely, but the color and additional flavor punch from the blueberries is a welcome addition.  All baked into one of my favorite shortbread bar recipes these bars are very hard to resist.

Blueberry Rhubarb Shortbread Bars

I taste tested an entire edge of the pan and then quickly wrapped the rest of the bars and stuck them in the freezer for an upcoming party.  If I had not done that, I think I would have gotten myself into trouble.  Head over to Fox for the recipe!

Sponsored Links

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

41 Responses to “Blueberry Rhubarb Shortbread Bars”

1. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen April 27, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

These are soooo pretty and I love the pairing of blueberries with the rhubarb. I absolutely love rhubarb so will be making these gorgeous bars!

2. Steph@stephsbitebybite April 27, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

WOW!! Busy woman…400 cookise is insane, but so glad that your business is doing so well!! I can’t believe you managed to fit these bars in to your schedule, but I’m so glad that you did, because they look incredible!

3. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray April 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

You are a baking and business-growing machine!! Congrats on getting to Friday. :) What better way to celebrate than with some sweet crumbly shortbread? I can think of none other.

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks April 27, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

I love crumbles and crisps like this!

5. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel April 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

I love the gorgeous color!

6. Julie @ Table for Two April 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

mmm love this and how pretty it is!!

7. Crystal @ A Lovin' Forkful April 27, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

I love the idea of rhubarb and blueberries. Yummy!

8. Cassie April 27, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

Why wouldn’t I think of combining blueberry and rhubarb? I think I am such a plain jane sometimes because I stick to combinations the way they’ve always been. This is great, though, I love bluebereries. These bars sound so good!

9. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef April 28, 2012 at 4:43 am #

I love things that are so good that you have to hide because you know you can’t leave them alone. I’m off to see the recipe!

10. Kathryn April 28, 2012 at 5:48 am #

These look seriously delicious! And well done for surviving a busy week although I think a busy week can only be a good thing at this stage, it really sounds like the business is taking off!

11. Joanne April 28, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Ah the infamous rhubarb recipe! You did good, girl. I love a good shortbread bar (especially with fruit!) and the tart-sweet filling you have here is just perfect!

12. Charlie April 28, 2012 at 9:20 am #

Morning Lauren:

I hope it is sunny and warm where you are :~D. We have cold and it is starting to snow :~(

Your bars look so good, and yes I’m going to try them.

Thank you for sharing.

Have a Joyful Day.

Charlie

13. Lisa @ Sweet 2 Eat Baking April 28, 2012 at 9:46 am #

Shortbread, blueberries and rhubarb. I will now confess my love for you and this recipe. Everything I love. Heaven on a plate!

Came from FoodBuzz so have left you some Buzz-love on this post on FoodBuzz. :)

-Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

14. Lisa @ Sweet 2 Eat Baking April 28, 2012 at 9:50 am #

Forgive me if this is a duplicate. It seems to have trouble posting comments with the FoodBuzz bar at the top where it redirects after a comment but I don’t see anything stating it has been sent, and/or waiting moderation so I’m never sure if it has gone through.

I said something in my last comment along the lines of.. Shortbread, blueberries, and rhubarb. I’ll confess my undying love to you and this recipe now. All my favourite things rolled up into one sweet package. Wonderful!

Came from FoodBuzz so have left you some Buzz-love on this post on FoodBuzz. :)

-Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

15. Lynna H. April 28, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

ohh, this looks BEAUTIFUL!

16. Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 28, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

These look super delicious!!!

17. Mel (Sharky Oven Gloves) April 29, 2012 at 12:10 am #

These look wonderfully delicious – I love the combination of blueberry and rhubarb. I think the fruitiness of these would make such a perfect mid-afternoon snack!

18. Baking Sereisendipity April 29, 2012 at 12:16 am #

I just want to hang out in your kitchen. I promise to help though :)

• admin April 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Come on over, you are invited any time:-)

19. Julia {The Roasted Root} April 29, 2012 at 12:42 am #

Glad to hear you’ve overcome your rhubarb intimidation…I still have mine…alive and kickin. I love trying out new recipes…new fruits and veggies, so I need to get right over it and buy some rhubarb…that’d be step one. :) Step two of course, would be to bake your bars. They look delicious, soft and sweet. I want a plateful of them with coffee! Thanks for the inspiration!

• admin April 29, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

Definitely try it, it was actually so easy!

20. Jennie @themessybakerblog April 29, 2012 at 9:20 am #

Wow, these look so good. I’ve always been intimidated by rhubarb. I may have to try this recipe to get over my fear of rhubarb. Thanks for sharing.

21. jagódka April 29, 2012 at 11:07 am #

It looks so good and lovely!

22. DessertForTwo April 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

SOOOO happy for all your good news! Take it all in, you deserve it (and more!) :)

Love blueberries with rhubarb! Unique!

• admin April 29, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

Thank you, lady!

23. Haley April 29, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

What are the nutrition facts for these?

24. gina @cateror April 29, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

These look lovely (and delicious)! How did they take freezing/thawing? Can’t wait to try making them :)

• admin April 29, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

I’ll be defrosting them this weekend so I’ll let you know!

25. Emily @ Life on Food April 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

I am glad to hear you are very busy and business is going well. I am also glad you were able to post about these. They look fabulous.

26. Kristina April 29, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Congrats on Top 9! These look amazing! Very happy you had time to squeeze these in :) I still have never baked with rhubarb (its freaks me out a bit) but I’ll get up the courage soon, these look divine!

27. Lynn April 29, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

how do you get the recipe for this

• admin April 29, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Hi Lynn – Just click the link to Fox on the bottom of the post. Let me know if you still have trouble!

28. The Wimpy Vegetarian April 29, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

These look really beautiful and tasty. I’ve never thought of combining rhubarb with blueberries, but will definitely try it! Congrats on making top 9, and making #1!!

• admin April 30, 2012 at 7:12 am #

Thanks, Susan!

29. Melodee April 29, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

One could even take canned blueberry pie filling and add the cooked rhubarb if you did not have fresh blueberries.

30. Ally April 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

Wow, these look melt-in-your-mouth delicious. I love blueberries & rhubarb, so combined with shortbread would be divine!
    xo

31. Happy When Not Hungry April 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

These look beautiful! I’ve never tried blueberry and rhubarb, just strawberry and rhubarb. Will def have to give these a try!

32. Lindsey@Lindselicious April 30, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

Oooh I love anything with blueberry in it. These look super yummy, I wanna take these to Hollywood Bowl once the concert season starts.

33. 2sisters2cities May 2, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

This recipe looks fantastic! I am actually hosting a rhubarb linky party at 2sisters2cities.com as part of our Fresh Produce Tuesday series. I would love if you submitted this recipe!

-m

34. Carrie@Bakeaholic Mama May 3, 2012 at 8:10 am #

Oh I love the blueberries with the rhubarb! Great idea, these look lovely!

35. Anna @ hiddenponies May 19, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

Wow, these look delicious, I’m so glad you ventured into rhubarb treats!