The perfect summer brunch food. These brown butter muffins are full of juicy peaches and topped with a cinnamon crumble.
Summers for us are always full of travelling to see family. I try to bring a different sweet treat every time, though my family has had its fair share of bakery “scraps”! These muffins were the perfect addition to a recent summer brunch. Even though they are flavored with brown butter and finished with a crumb topping, they really aren’t that heavy. They are heavy on the peaches so you should get a juicy piece of fruit in every bite.
- 100g (7 tablespoons) unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
- 80 milliliters (1/3 cup) milk at room temperature
- 55g (1 large) egg + 20g (1 large) egg yolk at room temperature
- 5 milliliters (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 160g (~3/4 cup granulated sugar )
- 120g (~3/4 cup) white whole wheat flour
- 100g (~3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 7 ½g (1½ teaspoons) baking powder
- 3g (1 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- ½g (1/4 teaspoon) ground nutmeg
- 1g (1/4 teaspoon) salt
- 300g (~2 cups) chopped peaches (~2 large peaches)
- 40g (3 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cold
- 65g (~1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 40g (~3 tablespoons) granulated sugar
- 2g (1/2 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees; line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners and set aside
- Make the muffin batter
- Brown the butter: Heat butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly; when butter turns to an amber/light brown color with dark specks, remove from heat immediately
- Pour browned butter into a small bowl and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk, egg, egg yolk and vanilla until combined; whisk in brown butter
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until combined; gently fold in peaches
- Distribute batter evenly among cupcake liners and set aside
- Make crumb topping by combining the butter, flour, sugar and cinnamon with your fingers until most of the dry ingredients are in small clumps; sprinkle each muffin generously with topping
- Bake muffins 18-20 minutes or until a knife or toothpick comes out of center of a muffin clean
Make something from the blog? Be sure to share it onInstagram with the tag #KeepItSweetDesserts.
This post contains affiliate links.