Another ice cream recipe that doesn’t require an ice cream maker! This Lemon Ice Cream is super creamy and quite refreshing, a wonderful summer treat!
Sometimes when I enjoy a lemon dessert, I feel like a traitor to my former self. I was so sworn against lemon anything forever and now I feel like such a hypocrite. But you know what, I’ll get over that, because now is the time to embrace new tastes and delicious, refreshing summer flavors.
That isn’t to say that I’m not ultra picky about lemon sweets (even more picky than I am about all sweets, hard to believe). Lemon bars still kind of gross me out, as does lemon meringue pie. But when lemon desserts are done right, they can be quite delicious. Not too sweet and not too tart are the most important factors. And then there is texture. This ice cream for example, has just enough lemon flavor to make it a refreshing treat, but it is also ultra creamy and has the potential to fulfill all of your ice cream loving needs. Have a small scoop on a hot night or use it in an ice cream sundae. This blueberry sauce would probably be perfect for that. If you are really smart, you will make this ice cream right now so it’s ready for my recipe that’s coming on Thursday. Hint, hint!
- (2 cups heavy cream
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free, but any type would work)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6g (~2 tablespoons) lemon zest (from ~2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from ~1 lemon)
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat cream on high speed for several minutes, just until stiff peaks form
- While whipping cream, in a separate large bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice
- Once cream is ready, fold it into sweetened condensed milk mixture
- Pour ice cream into a regular-sized loaf pan or ice cream storage container
- Freeze for 6 hours or overnight before serving
I would love to sandwich those blueberry cookies around this ice cream!
I love frozen lemon treats on hot summer days! These photos are so pretty :)
Thank you so much, Sues!
I’ve yet to meet a lemony sweet treat that I didn’t love! Ice cream included. Love that this is so creamy while still being so sweet-tart!
It took me a while to warm up to lemon desserts, too, but I’ve grown to love them! I bet a scoop of this would be heavenly on a berry cobbler!
You make the best and good looking ice creams!! Lemon is always welcome in this hood of mine!!
Thank you so much, Zainab!!
I’ve just made this lemony delight, and I just can’t wait for it to freeze! I’ve taken a taste (or two), and I think this would make a wonderfully light frosting! (Before being frozen)
Thank you so much for the nice comment, Teri! I love the idea of using that for a frosting:-)
If we used lime instead of lemon would it still work? What about a mix of both lime and lemon?
It would certainly have a different flavor but could definitely work. Let me know if you try it!
Love the flavour of lemon icecream and I must give yours a try, but can I be so bold and tell you about my version which is a quantity of homemade lemon curd added to a litre of good quality vanilla icecream, soften icecream add curd and mix thoroughly. Delicious served with Orange/Almond cake.