Make these hearty pistachio muffins for a holiday brunch with friends!
I made it through the weekend, and pretty much in one piece.
The last seven days were by far the busiest, craziest and most overwhelming of the season so far. I could not be more thankful for my family and friends that chipped in on baking, packaging, box making, card writing and over-the-phone stress calming (there may have been tears).
But enough of that (because I’m still in too much of a haze to really reflect and write). Onto these muffins! My pistachio loving dad has been requesting pistachio muffins forever so when we went to my parents for brunch a few weeks ago (feels like forever ago!), I knew I had to finally make him some. I opted to make mine slightly healthier than recipes I’ve seen and omitted the green food coloring, but you can definitely add a few drops if you want GREEN pistachio muffins!
- 4⅜ ounces (~1 cup) roasted and salted shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- 5 ½ ounces (~1 cup) white whole wheat flour
- 2 ounces (~½ cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 7.5 ounces (~1 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons / ½ stick) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 fluid ounces (½ cup) low fat buttermilk at room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 375' F
- Line a muffin pan and set aside
- In a food processor, process 2 ounces (slightly less than ½ cup) of pistachios until pureed; set aside
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg into a medium bowl; set aside
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream together the butter, applesauce and sugar for a few minutes or until light and fluffy
- Add pureed pistachios and beat on medium high speed for a minute or until well combined
- Add egg and vanilla; mix on medium speed just until combined; scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula
- With the mixer on low, add half of the sifted ingredients;
- Add buttermilk and then remainder of sifted ingredients with mixer on low, just until incorporated; do not overmix
- Remove bowl from mixer and use a spatula to fold in the chopped pistachios
- Use a large cookie dough scoop or small ladle to evenly distribute batter into muffin cups
- Bake for 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Allow to cool slightly before eating
This post contains affiliate links.