Make these hearty pistachio muffins for a holiday brunch with friends!
I made it through the weekend, and pretty much in one piece.
The last seven days were by far the busiest, craziest and most overwhelming of the season so far. I could not be more thankful for my family and friends that chipped in on baking, packaging, box making, card writing and over-the-phone stress calming (there may have been tears).
But enough of that (because I’m still in too much of a haze to really reflect and write). Onto these muffins! My pistachio loving dad has been requesting pistachio muffins forever so when we went to my parents for brunch a few weeks ago (feels like forever ago!), I knew I had to finally make him some. I opted to make mine slightly healthier than recipes I’ve seen and omitted the green food coloring, but you can definitely add a few drops if you want GREEN pistachio muffins!
- 4⅜ ounces (~1 cup) roasted and salted shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- 5 ½ ounces (~1 cup) white whole wheat flour
- 2 ounces (~½ cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 7.5 ounces (~1 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons / ½ stick) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 fluid ounces (½ cup) low fat buttermilk at room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 375' F
- Line a muffin pan and set aside
- In a food processor, process 2 ounces (slightly less than ½ cup) of pistachios until pureed; set aside
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg into a medium bowl; set aside
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream together the butter, applesauce and sugar for a few minutes or until light and fluffy
- Add pureed pistachios and beat on medium high speed for a minute or until well combined
- Add egg and vanilla; mix on medium speed just until combined; scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula
- With the mixer on low, add half of the sifted ingredients;
- Add buttermilk and then remainder of sifted ingredients with mixer on low, just until incorporated; do not overmix
- Remove bowl from mixer and use a spatula to fold in the chopped pistachios
- Use a large cookie dough scoop or small ladle to evenly distribute batter into muffin cups
- Bake for 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Allow to cool slightly before eating
This post contains affiliate links.
Make something from the blog? Be sure to share it on Instagram with the tag #KeepItSweetDesserts.
You might also like:
Pistachio Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Buttercream
Cranberry & White Chocolate Pistachio Dusted Cookies
I can’t even imagine how busy you must be this time of year (and here I am, stress-eating over ordering gifts online ;)). I hope things calm down soon enough for you to be able to enjoy the holiday! Also I need like 10,342 of these muffins in my life.
Sending you good thoughts as the season goes on! You are doing awesomely!! Oh and these muffins…yes, please!
Pistachio Muffins are definitely a hot, new trend for this year in the culinary world. I never heard of them before, and then last week I saw them in the bakery of a local restaurant, and now here they are on KISD!
These look delicious, I love pistachios but never think of putting them in muffins! I can’t wait to try this. I hope this week is a little less manic!
Love the idea of pistachios!
YES for still being alive after all that craziness!!! ANd for pistachio muffins. Kind of fabulous. They will pair perfectly with my pistachio wedding cake. :P
I love the sweet-salty flavors in these fabulous little muffins!