The fudgiest blondies loaded with everyone’s favorite sweet and salty candies.
When I asked my Father-in-Law what he wanted for his birthday dessert, his only request was chocolate covered pretzels. Sweet and salty, who doesn’t love those?
But come on, it is a birthday dessert! And since chocolate covered pretzels are what I make as an afterthought when I have extra melted chocolate, I just had to make something else.
So I threw together something else sweet and salty that required just a little more time and effort than the pretzels (of course I made those too) and was thrilled with the result. What I love about blondies is how flexible they can be. You can load them up with whatever you are in the mood for. Since Halloween is just a couple of weeks away, these would be the perfect way to use up any extra candy or the inevitable post-holiday candy sale purchases.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 12⅜ ounces (1½ cups packed) light brown sugar
- 7 ounces (1½ cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 x-large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup honey roasted peanuts
- ½ cup M&Ms
- ⅓ cup chopped Heath Bars (~8 minis)
- ¼ cup Reese's Pieces (I used mini but regular sized would work, too)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees; line an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar, stirring constantly; remove from heat and set aside when butter is completely melted
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder; set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla; whisk in butter and sugar mixture
- Whisk in flour mixture until almost combined and then fold in any remaining crumbs with a spatula
- Fold in peanuts and candy until evenly distributed throughout batter
- Pour into prepared baking pan
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean
- Set aside to cool before cutting
Make something from the blog? Be sure to share it on Instagram with the tag #KeepItSweetDesserts.
You might also like:
Big, Chewy, Sweet and Salty Peanut Butter Cookies
Sweet and Salty Party Cookies (with caramel corn!)
Sweet and Salty Toll House Pie
Considering the fact that I’m completely in love with your blondies, you *know* I’m bookmarking this recipe. :) Happy birthday to your FIL!
WOW! I absolutely adore the texture of your blondies (nice and gooey!) so the added candy bar pieces would just make this perfection! Great birthday treat!
These blondies look like they have the best texture ever! I’m all about sweet and salty treats, I know I’d love them.
Woah…these sound incredible. Love all that salty & sweet that’s going on.
I love how buttery and almost molten the centers of those look. They remind me a bit of the inside of some Chewy Banana Tolberone Cookies that I made earlier in the year. I’m a sucker for anything that has that soft, chewy texture.
Oh those sound amazing, Kelly!
Oh! These blondies have a perfect chewy-gooey center!! I Love the toffee-ish flavor that results from melting brown sugar and butter together. Don’t you just love that birthdays give us as the perfect “excuse” to bake?! :D
These are blondie perfection!
I love salty/sweet combinations and these blondies look perfect!!
Sweet and salty is my favorite combination! I think I could probably eat about 5 of these… They look so good!
Stop torturing me!
They are delicious, and he ate all of them!!! Yum!
I couldn’t even take a bite of those, but man, they sure are pretty!
check THESE out! so gooey… chocolatey… perfect for my sweet tooth.
These look incredibly gooey in the middle – a-mazing! And perfect for using up leftover chocolates and treats after Halloween :-)
I have a serious problem when it comes to all things sweet and salty…in that I can never stop myself from devouring them in one sitting! These look addictive. I’m glad you birthday-dessert-ified your father-in-law’s request!
These look SO ooey gooey perfect. Love!
I would gobble these up. Perfect balance of sweet and salty! I cannot handle brownies as dessert because they’re so dense, but these have just the right amount of chocolate. Paired with a big glass of milk I could probably eat the whole pan!
It’s been a long time since I checked in and I see you are still up to your fabulous baking tricks! Your blog/website is so pro now-love how you’ve got it set up for business too! LOVE. Just like I love sweet and salty and what else could I expect from the girl who loves her peanut butter and chocolate. These bars are sound so good!
So good to hear from you, Veronica!!! Thank you so much for the sweet note:-)
Oh my goodness. These look insanely good. Perfect for Halloween!
These look amazing!!
I just might have to steal some of my kids Halloween treats now! Thanks for sharing!
oh just looking at those, they look so perfectly decadent!
These look yummy! :-)