A healthier spin on the classic apple dessert, this cake does not disappoint. No mixer needed for this apple cake!
I’m pretty lucky that any photos of this cake exist. I baked it one morning while L was napping and then was setting up my shoot that afternoon while he decided that an afternoon nap just wasn’t necessary. So I took the pictures quickly and then proceeded to rock / feed L to sleep. There are worse things. I know those moments are fleeting these days so rather than be frustrated by the lack of “real” nap, I try to enjoy the sweet moment of a sleeping baby while I can. However, I don’t recommend that move with a full bladder. Just saying.
In the end it all worked out. L slept enough to play the late afternoon away, I got photos AND cuddle time. Oh yeah, and we got a pretty delicious cake. What’s interesting about this recipe is that you separate the apples so that you can top the batter with slices (which then end up on the bottom of the cake). I wasn’t sure how that would translate but I actually think it really helped seal in the moisture. That’s always a good thing when baking with whole wheat flour and less fat than a typical dessert.
Need a last minute high holiday dessert? This is dairy-free and perfect for your Rosh Hashanah spread. Don’t let the “vegan” scare you. There are no weird ingredients and you wouldn’t even know with the taste.
- 237 milliliters (1 cup) almond milk
- 5 milliliters (1 teaspoon) apple cider vinegar
- 450g (~2 large) apples, peeled
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 160g (~1 cup + 2 ½ tablespoons) all-purpose flour
- 150g (~1 cup) white whole wheat flour
- 10g (2 teaspoons) baking powder
- 2g (1 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- ½g (1/4 teaspoon) ground ginger
- 160g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 118 milliliters (1/2 cup) canola oil
- 15 milliliters (1 tablespoon) pure vanilla extract
- 15g (1 tablespoon, packed) light brown sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees; grease a bundt pan with non-stick baking spray
- Combine milk and vinegar; set aside
- Slice one of the two apples (1/8 -¼ inch in thickness) into half-moons; mix with half of lemon juice and set aside
- Chop other apple into ¼-inch cubes and in another bowl, mix with remaining lemon juice; set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger; set aside
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the milk and vinegar, granulated sugar, oil and vanilla
- Slowly whisk in dry ingredients just until combined; fold in chopped apple
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan
- Place sliced apple on top of the batter and sprinkle with brown sugar
- Bake in the center of the oven for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean