Gooey peanut butter cookie bars are layered with chocolate and salted caramel for a decadent bite-sized treat.
Sometimes you need a dessert that makes you feel good on all levels. When it’s dreary outside or you want to eat your feelings (ahem, me.) there are only certain desserts that will cut it. You need a dessert that just screams comfort. Something decadent, almost familiar, and just plain old delicious.
For me, that’s something that is made with peanut butter and chocolate. Throw in a layer of salted caramel and, well, it just doesn’t get much better than that. These cookie bars are the solution to your bad day. Peanut butter cookie dough (with peanut butter chips!) is layered with melted dark chocolate and rich salted caramel. Then, it’s sealed together with another layer of peanut butter cookie dough. Four perfect layers, one perfect bite-sized treat.
- 130g (~1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 12g (1 ½ teaspoons) baking soda
- 113g (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 258 g (1 cup) creamy peanut butter
- 160g (~¾ cup) granulated sugar
- 117g (~1/2 cup) packed light brown sugar
- 100g (2 large) whole eggs, at room temperature
- 5 milliliters (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 180g (~1 cup) peanut butter chips
- 180g (~1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup salted caramel (preferably homemade)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees; line a 9x9 inch pan with parchment paper with edges coming up the sides and set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda, set aside
- Using a mixer, in a large bowl beat peanut butter, butter and sugars on high until light and fluffy
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined
- Reduce speed to low and stir in flour mixture just until combined
- Stir in peanut butter chips
- Wrap half of dough with seran wrap and place in refrigerator; press remaining dough into bottom of prepared baking pan and bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over top; let sit for ~6 minutes and then carefully spread chocolate chips so that the cookie dough layer is mostly covered
- Pour salted caramel over chocolate
- Take chilled dough out of fridge and drop tablespoon-sized chunks of dough over top
- Place baking pan back in oven for 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned
- Allow to cool completely before removing from pan and cutting
Make something from the blog? Be sure to share it onInstagram with the tag #KeepItSweetDesserts.
You might also like:
Peanut Butter Caramel Candy Cups
Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Ritz Sandwiches
Mini Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Buttercream
Sweet glory do I need these!!
Trust me, you really do!!!
omigoshhhhhh my 3 favorite things!!!!! I love how gooey and delicious these look!
The best flavor combo:-)
Made these last night for a co-worker’s birthday. The caramel sauce is going to be my new go-to caramel. So simple and delicious! I used Maldon smoked sea salt and could pretty much drink it straight. Added a layer of Reese’s Pieces between the chocolate and caramel just to add a little bit more to this delicious mix. These are insanely good. The flavors all meld together and I’m holding myself back from eating the whole pan!
Thank you so much for your feedback, Amber! I love making that caramel sauce, too:-)
Your additions also sound so amazing. Thanks again for commenting!