I took a perfect brown butter cookie dough and added chopped pieces of some of my favorite candies: Peanut Butter Cups and Heath Bars. Topped with flaky sea salt, these chewy cookies might just become your new favorite recipe!
Before I get to these crazy good cookies, I just wanted to mention that Keep it Sweet Desserts is up for an American Made Award for the second year. Last year we did really well, this year I’m determined to do better! You can VOTE up to SIX times DAILY! I’d really appreciate your votes and sharing with friends. The winner will be selected based on VOTES and will be honored at the American Made workshop in October. On top of that, Keep It Sweet Desserts would get $10,000 to help grow the business, it couldn’t get much better than that.
“American Made is a movement founded by Martha Stewart that spotlights the maker, supports the local, and celebrates the handmade. It’s made up of people and communities who have turned their passion for quality craftsmanship and well-designed goods into a way of life.”
Okay, back to important things like brown butter.
I made these cookies a few weeks ago. And let me tell you, baking with brown butter when you are on a pre-vacation diet is torture. I’ve gotten used to my usual recipes for the business, but when I try something new, and it incorporates all of the things I love about a cookie, it is self-cruelty at its finest.
They are chewy on the inside and just slightly crisp on the outside (you need to make sure you get that light brown color for the crisp). Chunks of Heath and Peanut Butter Cups, flaky sea salt… really, I don’t need to say more.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1⅞ ounces (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 5½ ounces (2/3 cup) packed light brown sugar
- 1 x-large egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 ounces (1½ cups) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (~1 cup) Heath Bars, roughly chopped
- 4½ ounces (~3/4 cup) Peanut Butter Cups, roughly chopped
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- Brown the butter: Heat butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, when butter turns to an amber/light brown color, remove from heat immediately (You should be able to smell the deeper more caramel flavor of the butter) pour browned butter immediately into a small bowl and set aside to cool
- Once butter has cooled, place in the large bowl of an electric mixer with sugars; beat on high speed until well combined
- Add egg and vanilla, mix on medium speed until well mixed
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; slowly add to wet ingredients with mixer on low speed; do not over mix
- Slowly stir in chopped candy
- Chill dough for 24 hours for best results (minimum of 2 hours) before baking
- When ready to bake,pre-heat oven to 325 degrees; line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside
- Scoop cookie dough with large cookie dough scoop (~3 tablespoons) on to prepared baking sheets
- Bake cookies until firm: 15-17 minutes or until edges are golden brown
- Allow to cool before serving
And if you missed it, be sure to check out the announcement of our brand new flavors before they are even available to the public!
Make something from the blog? Be sure to share it on Instagram with the tag #KeepItSweetDesserts.
This post contains affiliate links.
You might also like:
Brown Butter Blueberry Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookie Cake
Gluten-Free Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
um…I just…I can’t…
THESE ARE EVERYTHING! OMG <3
Love! Wish these were coming to my doorstep tomorrow too haha. Cannot even have enough cookies! And congrats again on being a finalist! I will be voting every day.
These are absolutely drool worthy.
I loveeeee heath bars and would kill for one of these in front of me right this second :)
Congrats on the award nomination again!!
Ugh, these look amazing. I love anything and everything with brown butter.
These sound heavenly!! I think heath bar has recently become one of my favorite candies…I don’t know how it flew under my radar for so long!
I always order DQ Blizzards with Heath and Reese’s, it’s one of my favorite flavor combinations! I am definitely making these cookies, they sound heavenly!
They look incredibly good & I have been seeing them on all the food sites today. Pinned!
These look insanely delicious! The sea salt is the perfect finish!
These cookies seriously look like heaven! I want a dozen baaaaaaadly!
For the record, if you ever need a cookie taste tester in lieu of a vacation diet, I’m your girl!!
Brown butter = love. These cookies = heaven.
I want to swim in a sea of these cookies!
Congrats on making the finals again! xo
Oh goodness, these cookies look incredible :) I just love heath!!
/gets up and looks at screen
I am making these tonite but as I look at the picture I could swear I see pecan pieces? Am I imagining things? Can not wait for a cold glass of milk and one of these babies . . .
No pecan pieces but you could always add them if you want! I hope you like the cookies:-)