Sometimes you need a light and refreshing cookie to balance out desserts like this. As the cooler weather is moving in, the comfort of indulgent cookies, cakes and pies is more and more appealing. However, I’m determined not to gain weight as we get through the winter. In fact, I’d like to get rid of the couple of pounds that have snuck up on me over the last several months.
But don’t expect things to get all diet-y around here. I really believe in balance and balance includes indulging in real butter-filled desserts in moderation. But usually sometimes, one cookie or one slice of cake just doesn’t do it. It is a time like that when something a little lighter is best. That way you can have 10 4 cookies instead of 2.
I find that meringue cookies are a little underrated. It used to be a nice treat when we would come home to a fresh batch of chocolate chip meringue cookies waiting in the kitchen. The light and crispy exterior complimented by a chewiness just in the center makes for a nice change of pace. Adding in the mini chocolate chips is a bonus.
While my mom always went with the classic meringue, I decided to change things up with a mint chocolate chip version. Just a little bit of crème de menthe adds a nice flavor touch to the cookies.
The thing that made baking these cookies a little more fun than usual was a new toy in the kitchen. OXO sent me some kitchen supplies including this OXO Egg Beater. It is so much easier than trying to beat the eggs by hand but you get to feel more active than using an electric mixer. Plus, it is great for making a small batch when a regular electric mixer can’t reach the bottom of the bowl. I even used the egg beater when making breakfast today. The fact that it is dishwasher-safe makes it an every day tool!
Mint Chocolate Chip Meringues
Yield: Makes 28 meringues
- 2 egg whites at room temperature (not from the carton)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon creme de menthe
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with OXO egg beater using high speed (or an electric mixer with the whisk attachment) until lightly foamy
- Add cream of tartar and continue to beat until mixture is very foamy
- Add in half granulated sugar and beat until mixture is a creamy white
- Add crÃ¨me de menthe and remaining sugar
- Beat at high speed until meringue has formed a thick better that is a glossy white and stiff peaks form from beaters or whisk
- Lightly fold in chocolate chips
- Use a teaspoon to drop spoonfuls of meringue on to baking sheets
- Place baking sheets in center of oven and turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for two hours or until firm and crisp
Adapted from Emeril [/print_this]
Disclaimer: I received the OXO Egg Beater and other kitchen accessories as a part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program. All of the opinions expressed in this post are my own.
Any tips on eating desserts in moderation? I would love to learn how to do that!